Quality Control and Quality Assurance
The quality controls implemented by Business & Languages are a strong foundation in the development of long term relationships with customers. Due to the high degree of technical content of the manuals and documentation handled by Business & Languages, the QA is requested, implemented and carried out throughout all the steps of the translation process.
Before the translation
For software, scientific, technical, medical and pharmacological translation the use of standard, or specifically approved glossaries, is especially important. Such glossaries are usually verified and discussed with the client by the terminology manager of Business & Languages, Dr. Luciano Furia. Dr. Furia has a long time experience in the bioengineering field, supported also by a Ph.D. at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.
During the translation
During the translation process the translators are aided by an array of tools to ensure consistency of the translated texts. The glossary specific for a project, and the other references (standard glossaries, dictionaries and on-line data bases) are, in fact, made available to the translators in several formats:
After the translation (QC)
- on paper
- viewable in electronic format
- searchable with specific programs, such as MultiTerm and TermStar, which supply automatically the translation of the various terms
At the end of the translation, each text is proofed integrally and checked especially with respect to:
- completeness of the translation
- terminological consistency
- grammar, syntax and spelling
- fluidity of the linguistic forms
- cultural adaptation with the correct choice of the examples tailored to the target market/country/audience
Upon special request by the client, it is possible to submit the translation for review by a specialist in the field (university professor, professional, physician, engineer, journalist, ecc) capable of verifying that the translations matches the specific field requirements, technically and linguistically.
Final control (QA)
Before delivery to the client, and after all the checks performed during the translation process, a final check is carried out based on the guidelines published by LISA (Localisation Industry Standards Association - Geneva). This check generates a series of matrices (based on sampled and spot analyses) determining a final score. This final score supplies an objective and quantitative indication of the translation quality.
Technological and operative infrastructure
Many of Business & Languages' strong points rely upon an lean and flexible work-flow organization which fully exploits the advantages of a state-of-the-art technical support.
Our translators and reviewers (internal and external) are supported by a team of managers, coming from varied professional backgrounds, and by a sound technical and organizational infrastructure.
On the one hand this structure allows the treatment of documents generated with any word processing or DTP system on any computer platform, while on the other hand it allows the full co-operation among the "remote" translators and the managers, reviewers and translators working in the modern "concrete" office.
Business & Languages uses the most popular hardware and software platforms (PC e Mac). It employs a client/server IT infrastructure, running Windows 2000 and MacOS.
The software support includes the most powerful translation tools now available: Trados Translator's WorkBench, Star Transit, IBM Translation Manager, Catalyst, Déjà Vu.
The always evolving technological support includes:
- Windows NT Server 4.0 servers, with redundant mirrored disks and tape back-up unit
- Workstations with Pentium III @ 1 GHz and 256 MB RAM (minimum)
- Fast Ethernet LAN (with a 24-port switch)
- Internet links via optic fibre (10Mb/s) with ADSL and ISDN back-up
- UPS for all servers and workstations
- Automatic back-up procedures (daily, weekly, monthly, and per project)
- Back-ups on Travan cartridges, 100-MB Zip and CD burners
- Mail and ftp server (in house and on external high-availability fast servers)
- High resolution scanners with OCR capabilities and automatic document feeder
- Video conferencing
- Anti-virus protection with daily updates
- Remote management capabilities